Cereal Milk takes center stage in this easy Gluten Free Fruity PEBBLES™ Cake complete with Fruity PEBBLES™ “sprinkles.” It’s a fun twist turning breakfast into dessert!
This post is sponsored by Post PEBBLES™ but all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make What The Fork Food Blog possible!
November is Celiac Disease Awareness month so we’re celebrating with a super fun, super colorful cake!
I know so many of you have Celiac Disease and I’m so happy that I’m able to help you along on your journey of navigating a whole new world of gluten free ingredients and learning how to bake gluten free. It’s a struggle so many of you face and I’m glad I can lift a little bit of that burden for you.
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know there are a few things I don’t compromise on here – flavor, texture, and fun recipes your whole family will enjoy. Which is exactly what today’s recipe encompasses.
So today, we’re making a celebratory snack cake to celebrate you and all that you’ve overcome. Not only are we make a fabulous cake, but we’re incorporating a really fun; unique ingredient – cereal milk!
Cereal Milk has become a trendy ingredient in modern baking. I can see why, because we all know that the milk left at the end of a bowl of cereal is the best part of breakfast. It’s why we all eat cereal in the first place, right?!
Milk and cereal is such a staple in every household, why not have a bit of fun with it and incorporate it into something new!
Side note, do you guys remember that Milk and Cereal video from the dawn of the internet video age? I’m talking 2003/2004, basically forever ago. I’ve had the song stuck in my head since I’ve started working on this recipe!
“Milk and cereal, milk and cereal, cereal and milk. Cereal and milk…” Classic.
I had so much fun coming up with this recipe and of course, I had to use Fruity PEBBLES™ cereal! It’s so bright and vibrant, it’s like a bowl full of delicious fruity sprinkles. And you all know from previous recipes, that I can never resist going a little extra with the sprinkles.
This Fruity PEBBLES™ Cake is super fun and the perfect cake to make for any cereal lover.
I’ve adapted this cake from two other popular cake recipes on my website, my Gluten Free Funfetti Cake and my Gluten Free Yellow Cake.
I baked this cake a few ways and in several different types of pans. My favorite is what I landed on – a 9×9 inch square cake with Fruity PEBBLES™ sprinkled on top before baking.
I prefer the look and texture of the Fruity PEBBLES™ when they’re baked on top of the cake vs. when they’re mixed into the batter. When baked on top, the Fruity PEBBLES™ maintain their gorgeous, vibrant color, they get a bit toasted (aka more intense flavor!), and you can still see that you are, in fact, eating cereal and not just regular sprinkles.
Are Fruity PEBBLES™ Gluten Free?
Yes! Fruity PEBBLES™ cereal is gluten free. Cocoa PEBBLES™ and Peanut Butter & Cocoa PEBBLES™ are also gluten free!
Fun fact, Cocoa PEBBLES™ was voted as one of the best gluten free cereals in the most recent edition of The Gluten-Free Buyers Guide this year!
Be sure to visit postpebblescereal.com for more information along with additional recipe and craft ideas!
What is Cereal Milk?
Cereal milk is milk that has been flavored by cereal. In this case, it’s Fruity PEBBLES™ Cereal Milk!
What kind of frosting should I use?
I paired my Gluten Free Fruity PEBBLES™ Cake with my classic recipe for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. If you want to really play up the cereal milk factor, you can make a little extra cereal milk with the heavy cream used in the frosting recipe.
Just use 3 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix it with 2 tablespoons Fruity PEBBLES™. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes. Then strain the cereal from the heavy cream and use 2 tablespoons of the cereal flavored heavy cream in the frosting recipe.
Key Ingredients for Fruity Pebbles Cake with Cereal Milk
- Fruity PEBBLES™ Cereal – the cereal gives this cake flavor and a ton of visual appeal!
- Milk – whole milk is best in this recipe but 2% is also ok. For the best flavor and texture, do not use skim or 1% milk.
- Egg Whites – This cake gets its light texture from whipped egg whites. I omit the egg yolks for a gluten free white cake which helps the colors of the cereal shine.
- Sieve/Strainer – You’ll need a medium sized strainer to strain the cereal from the cereal milk.
- Digital Kitchen Scale – for the most accurate results, measure your dry ingredients by weight with a kitchen scale. I’ve provided both cup and weight measurements in the recipe.
- Hand Mixer – I mix the wet and dry ingredients by hand, but I use a hand mixer to whip the egg whites into firm peaks.
- 9×9 square pan – this was my favorite way to bake this cake. You can also bake this cake in 2 6-inch round cake pans.
- Parchment paper (optional) – I line my pan with parchment paper so I can easily remove my cake from the pan. If you intend to cut and serve your cake from the pan, you can just spray your pan with non-stick spray and skip the parchment paper.
How to Make Cereal Milk:
- Combine Fruity PEBBLES™ cereal with milk. Mix and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Strain the milk and cereal and discard the cereal.
- Mix a pinch of salt and light brown sugar into the milk.
- Use the cereal milk in place of milk in recipes!
How to Make Fruity PEBBLES™ Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9×9 square pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cereal milk then set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in half of the egg whites until mostly incorporated.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites until combined and no white streaks remain.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle the dry cereal over the top of the batter. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Other Gluten Free Cake Recipes to Try:
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this Gluten Free Fruity PEBBLES™ Cake with Cereal Milk recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
For the Cereal Milk:
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk + 2 tablespoons
- ½ cup Fruity PEBBLES™ cereal
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Pinch of fine sea salt
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups (206g) gluten free flour blend (see notes)
- ¼ cup (35g) cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon (2g) xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons (9g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3g) fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup (138g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup cereal milk
- ½ cup avocado oil (can sub canola or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup (20g) dry Fruity PEBBLES™ cereal
- 1 recipe Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- To make the cereal milk, add the milk and ½ cup cereal to a 2 cup measuring cup or bowl. Stir to combine and let the cereal steep for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, use a mesh strainer to strain the cereal from the milk and discard the cereal.
- Stir the brown sugar and pinch of salt into the milk. Measure out 1 cup of the cereal milk to use in the cake. Any leftover milk can be used to make the frosting.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9x9 square baking pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the prepared cereal milk, oil, and vanilla extract and then set aside.
- Add the egg whites and cream of tartar to a medium bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form then set aside.
- Pour the cereal milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, making sure to scrap the bottom of the bowl. Add half of the egg whites to the batter and gently fold the egg whites
- When the egg whites are mostly incorporated, add the remaining egg whites. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until fully incorporated and no white streaks remain.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan then sprinkle the Fruity PEBBLES™ cereal evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean or with a couple moist crumbs.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack completely then frost with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and decorate the top with additional Fruity PEBBLES™ cereal.
- I use my Nightshade Free Gluten Free Flour Blend in this recipe.
- This recipe can also be baked in 2 6-inch round cake pans if you prefer to make a layer cake and will take about 28-35 minutes depending on your oven.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 143Total Fat: 8g
Nutrition Facts are estimated and aren't always accurate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist if you have special dietary needs. Nutrition Facts do not include frosting.
THE FLINTSTONES and all related characters and elements © & TM Hanna-Barbera. (s19)