This skillet gluten free chicken marsala is an easy weeknight meal that’s good enough to serve to company. It’s full of mushrooms, shallots, and coated in a silky marsala sauce.
Gluten Free Chicken Marsala
This gluten free chicken marsala has been a family favorite for quite a while. I first started making it before Adam had to start eating gluten free. Luckily, it was super easy to adapt by using gluten free flour and then replacing our old regular penne with Barilla Gluten Free Penne instead.
I love when its really that simple to adapt your recipes. Barilla gluten free pasta is certified gluten free and is made with a corn and rice blend so it has a great texture that doesn’t turn to mush. It’s the closest thing to regular pasta that I’ve tried and I have no problem serving this pasta to a group of gluten eaters.
I like to get my pasta at BJ’s Wholesale. They sell it in a 4-pack so it comes out to just over $2 a box – cheaper than my grocery store. And extra pasta is always good to have on hand for those last-minute-need-it-in-a-snap meals on busy nights.
You guys, this gluten free chicken marsala is so good. It’s full of mushrooms, shallots, and marsala sauce. It makes just enough sauce to coat the pasta so if you want a saucier dish, you can double the sauce. I really love that everything is bite-sized in this dish. It’s the little things <3
And be sure to visit BJ’s Wholesale Clubs on December 22nd and 23rd (2015) to see an in-store Barilla Gluten Free pasta demo at select clubs. You can try it out before you buy it. Although, I’m sure you won’t need much persuasion – this pasta is really good.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this gluten free chicken marsala recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
- 1 12 oz box gluten free penne
- 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/4 C gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 C dry marsala wine
- 1 C gluten free chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 C fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente pasta. Don't over-cook.
- Add the chicken and the flour to a zip-lock bag and shake to coat the chicken with the flour.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken (leaving any excess flour in the bag) and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and cover with aluminum foil while you cook the mushrooms.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the shallot and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until it's soft.
- Add the marsala wine to the pan to deglaze it and scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine is nearly evaporated. Add the chicken broth, chicken, sage, and penne to the pan and stir really well to coat the pasta with the sauce. The pasta will soak up almost all of the chicken broth. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
You can double the sauce ingredients if you want a saucier dish.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
Chicken Piccata – serve it with Barilla gluten free spaghetti!
Visit Barilla Gluten Free on Pinterest for more recipe ideas.