Gluten Free Eggnog muffins make the perfect holiday breakfast. Serve them warm or room temperature, with or without the glaze. They’re slightly sweet and have an amazing flavor from the eggnog, nutmeg and rum extract. Add them to you holiday brunch menu, bring them to a potluck or eat them all yourself. They’re so good you might not want to share!
I don’t know what the weather is like where you are, but here in New England, it’s been cold. Too cold for my liking. I’ve also been struggling with the sun. It’s not out enough. As you can tell by my pictures, the sun has been giving off its golden setting glow. The sun sets slightly after 4:15… 4:15!!! WAY too early.
It’s been making it very difficult for me as far as food photography goes. I took these pictures in the afternoon. Clearly, 3:00 is not early enough to beat the sunset look. Natural ‘golden’ light is not quite the look I’m going for. So, even though I haven’t quite been able to capture the look I wanted for these Eggnog Muffins, they sure are delicious.
The eggnog icing is optional but it’s fun to have icing on your muffins every once in a while. I don’t really like adding the extra sugar to my muffins BUT in the name of eggnog, I made an exception. Kelsey loves the icing. She had so much fun icing the muffins for me, I just let her go to town. She was in eggnog muffin heaven.
A few weeks ago I made some Eggnog Cake and I had a bunch of eggnog leftover. I thought it would be perfect in the muffins for a fun holiday breakfast. They’re amazing, especially with the nutmeg. Love that warm, nutty little spice. So. Good. These eggnog muffins are great for breakfast, brunch, holiday breakfasts or even snacks. I wish eggnog was available all year because I’d definitely be making these year round if it was. Enjoy!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this eggnog muffins with eggnog glaze recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
For the Muffins:
- 2 C gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 C eggnog, room temperature
- 2 eggs beaten, room temperature
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum extract (optional)
- For the Glaze:
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp eggnog
- nutmeg (for dusting, optional)
- Pre-heat Oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together eggnog, eggs, canola oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract and rum extract.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Transfer batter into the prepared muffin tin. Try to distribute the batter between the 12 cups as much as possible. The cups will be almost filled.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 min. before removing to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- While the muffins are cooling, stir together powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and eggnog. Mix until smooth. Dip the muffins in the glaze or spoon on top. Let the glaze set (about 5-10 min) before serving.