This Jalapeño Margarita is a fun twist on the classic margarita. It’s got a sweet heat from the jalapeño simple syrup that will have you hooked. It’s the perfect cocktail for celebrating Cinco de Mayo.
When my sister Molly turned 21, she was a student in Boston and I was pregnant with Mackenzie. So when we went out to celebrate her 21st, I couldn’t even have a drink. Ugh.
We went out to dinner at the Atlantic Fish Co. and I don’t even remember what I had other than the exotic mushrooms (a $9 side dish that was hijacked by my then 1-year-old Kelsey). The only other thing I remember besides how much rice Kelsey dropped all over the floor was the drink my sister ordered. Well, kind of remember…
It was some kind of margarita-esq drink with tequila (obviously) and a jalapeño infused agave simple syrup. There were some other things in it because it wasn’t just a margarita but we both forgot. She said it was amazing and I pretty much just watched her drink it (creepy much?) with envy.
Whyyy … I always craved things I couldn’t have when I was pregnant. Mainly beer, wine, sangria, margaritas and any other kind of awesome drink that was off limits like the drink my sister had. Apparently, this drink made some kind of lasting impression on me because that was two years ago and I’m still thinking about it. Obsessive much?
With Cinco de Mayo coming up, I decided to make my own version and since I have no idea what else was in the drink, my version is just a Jalapeño Margarita. But not just any old jalapeño margarita, it’s pretty much the perfect jalapeño margarita.
It’s got just a hint of spice from the jalapeño so if you really want that “smack you in the mouth holy crap that’s hot” feeling, feel free to add more jalapeños to the simple syrup or add more to your glass when you make it. My version is more like a sweet heat that’s amazing and addicting. It’s more like a “wow that’s got a nice little kick” without making you feel like you’re on fire and make you go running for some water. Because of the agave nectar simply syrup, the margarita has a more golden color so you could use a gold tequila if that’s what you have.
This jalapeño margarita is the perfect cocktail for sipping on when you’re munching on all your Cinco de Mayo treats, like my Seven Layer Taco Dip. Enjoy!
Jalapeño Simple Syrup The Perfect Jalapeño Margarita
- 1 C water
- 1 C agave nectar
- 1 jalapeño sliced in half.
- 4 oz. silver tequila (or blanco)
- 2 oz. grand marnier (or other orange liquor)
- 2 oz. lime juice
- 2 oz. jalapeño simple syrup (see recipe above)
- Margarita salt, optional
- Jalapeño slices
- Lime slices
- Place the sliced jalapeño in the bottom of a glass container (like a mason jar or pyrex measuring cup) and set aside. Add the water and agave nectar to a small pot and heat over medium heat. Stir well and heat the mixture until it comes to a simmer. Pour the simple syrup over the jalapeño. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to 48 hours to infuse the jalapeño into the simple syrup.
- After infusing, pour the simple syrup through a sieve into a container to strain the seeds and jalapeño. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use, up to two weeks.
- Rim two glasses with margarita salt by rubbing a lime wedge along the rim of the glasses. Dip the glasses in the salt. Place a slice of jalapeño in the bottom of each glass and muddle or press squish a bit with a spoon. Fill glasses with ice.
- Add the tequila, grand marina, lime juice and jalapeño simple syrup to a cocktail shaker. Shake well and pour over the two prepared glasses. Garnish with an additional slice of jalapeño and a slice of lime.
IF YOU LOVE THIS JALAPEÑO MARGARITA RECIPE, BE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR FREE EMAIL UPDATES! NEW RECIPES WILL BE DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
This post is linked to Inspiration Monday, Made by You Monday, Two Cup Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Create Link Inspire, The SITS Girls, Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Create it Thursday, Crafty and Delicious Party, Your Turn To Shine, Pin Junkie Pin Party, Gluten-Free Fridays, Link Party Palooza, Savoring Saturdays, Weekend Wind-Down, Weekend Potluck and Best of the Weekend.