This simple gluten free corn muffin recipe makes a sweet, easy breakfast or even serve it as a side with chili or your favorite barbecue.
I feel like corn muffins are one of those recipes that everyone loves and nobody thinks to make. I always make corn bread but decided one night that gluten free corn muffins needed their chance to shine.
I often make corn bread when we have things like ribs or chili for dinner and then we usually eat the leftover gluten free corn bread for breakfast the next day. I figured since we’d be eating it for breakfast, a gluten corn muffin recipe would be the way to go.
And I’m so glad I made that decision. It had been so long since I had had corn muffins that I had forgotten how much I love them. There’s just something so simple and delicious about them.
My 4-year-old pretty much fell in love with them too. She could not get enough and has been asking for more corn muffins ever since.
Luckily for me (and you), these corn muffins are a cinch to make, you can make a big double batch, and they freeze really well. You can defrost them at room temperature or you can defrost them quickly in a warm oven or toaster oven.
I also make my gluten free corn muffin recipe dairy free since my daughter is lactose intolerant. I use unsweetened coconut milk (my non-dairy milk of choice for baking) but if you don’t need a dairy free version, you can use your milk of choice.
I also use avocado oil in the recipe, which is a neutral tasting oil. So if you don’t have avocado oil on hand, vegetable oil or canola oil would work just fine.
If you want to turn the gluten free corn muffins into a gluten free corn bread recipe, reduce the sugar to ¼ C (unless you like it on the sweeter side) and bake it in an 8×8 baking dish at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. This really is a great versatile gluten free recipe to add to your recipe collection.
As I mentioned before, I love these muffins with savory dishes like ribs, BBQ chicken, or chili but my absolutely favorite way to eat them is toasted on a buttered griddle. SO. GOOD. It’s like diner style at home. Enjoy!
BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG #WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG OR TAG @WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG – I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
IF YOU LOVE THIS gluten free corn muffin recipe, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA SO YOU NEVER MISS A POST:
This gluten free corn muffins recipe can also be found on Food Fanatic, where I am a regular contributor.
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum (omit if your flour blend contains it)
- 3/4 cup Fine Corn Meal
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk, Or dairy milk
- 1/3 cup Avocado Oil, Or vegetable oil
- 2 large Eggs, Room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin tin, dividing it equally between the 12 cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (see notes for baking time). Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack.
- Baking time will vary depending on the oven and the flour you use. Check for doneness after 20 minutes and then check after another 2 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- These muffins freeze well. Defrost at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 188
Nutrition Facts are estimated and aren't always accurate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist if you have special dietary needs.