These easy Gluten Free Nutmeg Log Cookies are a traditional Christmas cookie that will be a crowd pleaser. Give your tastebuds a break from the chocolate and give these a try!
I’ve got a super fun post to share with you today! I’m partnering with Bob’s Red Mill and taking part in their 50 States of Cookies campaign and I am here to represent Connecticut!
Connecticut is The Constitution State, but it’s also know as The Nutmeg State. So to represent my home, I’m sharing some gluten free nutmeg log cookies!
Nutmeg Logs are a fairly traditional Christmas cookie and many families seem to have their own family recipe they pass down. What makes nutmeg cookies unique is the full-blown nutmeg flavor and the rum extract. You can’t have a nutmeg cookie without the rum extract or the frosting and dusting of nutmeg.
I made my cookies with my favorite pre-made flour blend, Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour. You might remember that I used this flour to make my gluten free soft frosted sugar cookies and my gluten free carrot cake. It’s such a great flour blend for cookies, cakes, brownies, muffins, and quick breads.
This blend includes sorghum flour, which helps give baked goods a more wheat-like textrue. If you haven’t tried this flour blend out, I HIGHLY suggest it. It’s my go-to when my own flour blend is low and it’s actually my preferance for cookies.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the cookie recipes representing the other 49 states! This 50 States of Cookies campaign is so much fun. While we aren’t a country that has come together, cookies are definitely something we can all get behind!
Bob’s Red Mill has one vision: 50 states, 50 bloggers, and 50 cookies to bring our country together for a sweet treat that celebrates our already great nation. Enjoy!
be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
if you love this recipe for easy gluten free nutmeg log cookies, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| snapchat – whattheforkblog |
sign up for my free newsletter subscription for new recipes and exclusive giveaways + my free ecookbook – recipes with chocolate
For the Cookies:
- 1 C butter, room temperature
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, cold
- 2 tsp rum extract
- 3 C Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
For the Frosting:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly spray with non-stick spray.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until the sugar and butter are mixed - they do not have to be creamed. Add the vanilla, egg, and run extract and mix to incorporate.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and mix until the dry ingredients are completely combined.
- Roll portions of the dough in to log shapes - 3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Add the butter, sugar, vanilla, milk, and rum extract to a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Frost the cookies and use a fork to create lines in the icing then sprinkle with nutmeg.
Store cookies in an airtight container up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 114 Total Fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 1g
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.