Looking for the very best Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting? You are going to love this recipe. It is quick and easy and absolutely amazing. Use it to top cakes and cupcakes. You can also add a touch of this chocolate frosting on cookies.
This post contains affiliate links for products and ingredients I use and love. You can read my full disclosure here. Thank you for supporting What The Fork Food Blog so I can continue to provide you with free gluten free recipes ♥
Buttercream frosting has its place but I don’t think it compared to cream cheese frosting. While most frosting is just sweet, there is a special flavor to cream cheese frosting. Now, make that into chocolate cream cheese frosting and you have a frosting that can not be beaten. It is so simple to make, with only 7 ingredients.
What You Need To Know About This Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- You want a heavy-duty mixer. A stand mixer is best but a handheld mixer will work as well.
- Make sure you are allowing time for your ingredients to soften. letting the cream cheese and butter come to room temperature before using helps to eliminate lumps in the frosting.
Does Cream Cheese Frosting Need to be Refrigerated?
While traditional buttercream frosting can be stored at room temperature, the same does not hold true for cream cheese frosting. You want to make sure you store cream cheese frosting in the refrigerator. Anything that you frost with the chocolate cream cheese frosting will also need to be stored in the refrigerator, even if it is something that doesn’t normally need it, like cakes and cookies.
Key Ingredients for Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Fine sea salt
Cocoa powder (Dutch Processed preferred)
Pure vanilla extract
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Equipment Needed to Make the Best Cream Cheese Frosting
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting with Chocolate
Step 1. To the mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, butter and a pinch of salt. Beat it together until it is smooth and creamy.
Step 2. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and mix it together until it is incorporated. When it is mostly combined, increase the mixing speed to medium and beat it until it is fully combined.
Step 3. Add in the heavy cream and beat it all together for about 1 minute until it is smooth and creamy.
Tips for Making the Best Cream Cheese Frosting
I prefer Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Be sure to use the block cream cheese and not whipped or from the tub as they’ll be too soft.
Make sure the cream cheese is room temperature. This is important to prevent lumps in the frosting.
- The same goes for the butter. The butter should set out at room temperature for about an hour.
Add an additional tablespoon of cream as needed to reach the consistency you desire.
Other Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes To Try
- Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting (with a vegan cream cheese frosting option)
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature (full fat, see notes)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, left at room temp for 1 hour so it doesn't over soften
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (Dutch Processed preferred)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Add the cream cheese, butter, and a pinch of salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add the vanilla extract and mix on low to incorporate. When the sugar is mostly combined with the butter and cream cheese, increase the mixing speed to medium and beat until it's incorporated.
- Add the heavy cream and beat for 1 minute until the frosting is smooth and creamy. If the frosting is too thick, add an additional heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time to reach your desired consistency.
- Spread on your favorite cake, cupcakes, brownies, or cookies.
- Use block cream cheese, not whipped or from a tub.
- To make ahead, make the cream cheese as directed. Then cover and refrigerate until the day you need to use it. Bring to room temperature then beat until smooth and creamy before using. Can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.
- This makes enough to frost a 9x13 inch cake with a generous amount of frosting or pipe onto 1 dozen cupcakes. Make 1 1/2 batches for a 2 layer cake and double this recipe for a 3 layer cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 222
Nutrition Facts are estimated and aren't always accurate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist if you have special dietary needs. Calories based on 16 servings.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and let me know in the comments! You can also leave a photo/comment on this pin for others to see.