Your favorite holiday drink transformed into a delicious breakfast treat, Peppermint Mocha Donuts.
Peppermint Mocha is a familiar holiday flavor. Peppermint mocha lattes and coffees galore. They’re practically spilling out of every coffee-house, Starbucks or Dunks (Dunkin Donuts) you pass. But I’m not complaining, it’s such a fabulous flavor! I’ve been seeing so many recipes for peppermint mocha this and peppermint mocha that that I was starting to feel like I’m not being festive enough. I’ve got some peppermint mocha coffee creamer, that’s good enough, no? No! So I gave it a little thought, like 3 seconds, before knowing what I wanted to make. Peppermint Mocha Donuts. Coffee and donuts, match made in heaven.
So here’s a little insight on my long, drawn out thought process. Thought process starts here –> I always put coffee in my chocolate cake, why not put it in my baked chocolate donuts? Speaking of coffee, where did I put mine… Ooo, I’ll top it with some peppermint glaze and the peppermint pieces I bought but haven’t used! <– End thought. Yep, totally labored over that one. I did find my coffee, by the way. Next to the dog treats and playdoh in the dining room, naturally.
The chocolate pairs so well with the peppermint glaze. I go a little heavy on the peppermint extract because I really love peppermint. If you want it a little less strong, use 1/2 a teaspoon. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a Le Creuset Signature Round 5 1/2 qt. French Oven!
For the Donuts:
- 1 C gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 C brewed coffee
For the Peppermint Glaze:
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 - 1 tsp peppermint extract (depending on preference)
- peppermint pieces (I used King Leo brand)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and spray donut pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine milk and vinegar, set aside and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift and mix together flour, xanthan gum, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, oil, coffee and vanilla. Whisk in milk/vinegar mixture until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Don't over mix!
- Bake donuts for 8-10 minutes. The top of the donut will spring back when touched when done. Mine were done after 9 minutes.
- Cool donuts on a wire rack.
- To prepare the peppermint glaze, add powdered sugar, peppermint extract and milk in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Dip cooled (can be slightly warm) donuts 1/3 of the way in the peppermint glaze. Top with peppermint pieces.
If you love this recipe for Peppermint Mocha Donuts, be sure to sign up for free email updates! New recipes will be delivered straight to your inbox!
This recipe is linked to Merry Monday, Inspiration Monday, Made by You Monday, Two Cup Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Create Link Inspire, You’re Gonna Love It Tuesday, Time to Sparkle, Tickle My Tastebuds, The SITS Girls, Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Show and Share Wednesday, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Create it Thursday, Crafty and Delicious Party, Your Turn To Shine, Pin Junkie Pin Party, Gluten-Free Fridays, Link Party Palooza, Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Show Stopper Saturday, Saturday Night Fever, Weekend Wind-Down, Weekend Potluck and Best of the Weekend.
Some Other Donut Recipes You Might Enjoy: