This Gluten Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is the best way ever to use up that garden fresh zucchini. This loaf is super moist and perfect for breakfast or afternoon snacks. Trick those kids into eating some extra veg, they’ll never know!
Photos and Recipe Updated June 2018
Are you up to your eyeballs in zucchini? I’m not since I don’t have my own garden (big time sad face) but I sure have been taking advantage of all the fresh zucchini from my parent’s garden and from our favorite farm stand.
It’s one of my favorite vegetables since it’s so versatile and can be used in sweet and savory recipes. Like this double chocolate zucchini bread, for example. The zucchini is completely hidden by the chocolate.
How many vegetables can you sneak into your breakfast without anybody noticing? The answer would be: not many.
My kids have no idea there’s zucchini in this bread I’ve been serving them. I just call it chocolate bread 😉
This gluten free double chocolate zucchini bread is a total mom-win, my friends.
I just updated this recipe and photos (June 2018) as it will be one of the gluten free quick bread recipes in my upcoming cookbook filled with ALL THE GLUTEN FREE QUICK BREADS! They’ll be dairy free too. If you’re just as excited about the book as I am, definitely start here with this recipe or with my Gluten Free Banana Bread (which will also be in the book!).
You can definitely make some swaps in this bread by using a natural sweetener of choice, like coconut palm sugar. You can also make this with melted coconut oil.
When I first developed this recipe, I was still baking with vegetable and canola oil. You can use those in place of the avocado oil if you can’t use avocado. Since then, I’ve started baking with avocado oil and I LOVE it!
I haven’t tried it in this recipe, but you could probably use flax eggs to replace the eggs in this bread since there are only 2. If you try the flax egg replacement, let me know in the comments!
Dairy free substitutions for this bread are noted in the recipe. They’re pretty standard – coconut milk in place of regular milk and dairy free yogurt, if using.
✌out and enjoy!
PS Be sure to watch the VIDEO I made of this recipe – so fun and shows just how easy this bread is to make!
**Please note, the recipe has been updated since making the video.**
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this recipe for gluten free double chocolate zucchini bread, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
- 1 2/3 C gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/3 C Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 C light brown sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
- 1/4 C mini chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 C milk of choice*
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 2 C zucchini, shredded**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the mini chocolate chips and sugar (breaking up any clumps) and set aside.
- In a small bowl (or large measuring cup), whisk together the eggs, vanilla, milk and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients. Add in the zucchini and mix well.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Store bread wrapped tightly with plastic wrap at room temperature up to 3 days. You can also freeze the bread and defrost at room temperature as needed.
* I have made this recipe with regular dairy milk and non-dairy milk. For non-dairy, I prefer coconut milk from the carton in the refrigerated section.** I've shredded zucchini with a box grater and with my food processor. I prefer the texture of the finer zucchini from the food processor in this bread. Just be sure to add any liquid that comes out of the zucchini to the bread. It helps the bread stay moist since there is very little milk called for in the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Other Zucchini Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Crustless Zucchini Quiche from Roxana’s Home Baking
Tempura Style Zucchini from Vegetarian Mamma
Gluten Free Carrot Zucchini Muffins from Flippin’ Delicious
Zucchini Ribbon Lasagna from What The Fork Food Blog