This Gluten Free Honey Banana Coffee Cake is a great alternative to banana bread and is perfect for breakfast, lunch or snacking.
Gluten Free Honey Banana Coffee Cake
Honey is usually my go-to sweetener for things like smoothies and I’ve even used it in my baked Chocolate Chip Donuts. I’ve always been a big fan of honey, I get it from my grandfather who has honey on his cereal every morning. When I was a kid, I told him honey was what made him such a sweet old man. He still reminds me of that every time honey comes up in conversation ♥ When I heard about Tate+Lyle Honey Granules, I knew I had to give it a try! I really wanted to see how it held up in baking since sometimes using real honey can mess up the liquid to dry ingredient ratio a little bit. Replacing sugar with honey takes a bit of the ‘bulk’ out of the batter. But I thought the Tate+Lyle Honey Granules would be more great honey replacement without affecting that ratio. I decided to give it a whirl on a gluten free coffee cake because, go big or go home, right? Well guess what. Actually, you probably know what the end result was since you’re here reading my post titled “Honey Banana Coffee Cake”. Let’s just pretend you’re surprised and let’s start over. Guess what?! It works! And it tastes so good 🙂 Honey granules can also be used in tea, over cereals or when cooking. Basically, wherever you’d use honey you can use the granules instead.
You can also replace it for some of the sugar in baked goods like I did with this gluten free honey banana coffee cake. When subbing the honey granules in for fluid honey, 1 cup liquid honey = 1 cup Tate+Lyle® Honey Granules + ¼ cup additional liquid to recipe. You guys can have so much fun experimenting with this product. Enjoy!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this honey banana coffee cake recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| facebook | twitter | pinterest | instagram | youtube |
Honey Banana Coffee Cake
This Honey Banana Coffee Cake is a great alternative to banana bread and is perfect for breakfast, lunch or snacking.
For the Streusel:
- 1 C walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 C Tate+Lyle Honey Granules
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp gluten free all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted*
For the Cake:
- 3 C gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 C vegan butter, softened*
- 3/4 C Tate+Lyle Honey Granules
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C mashed banana
- 1 C dairy free sour cream*, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a tube pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl combine the walnuts, 1/4 C honey granules, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 Tbsp flour, and the 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, sift and whisk together the 3 C flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, 3/4 C honey granules and brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla, banana, and sour cream until well combined. Mix in half the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. Scrape down the bowl and add the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour one third of the streusel mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Pour half the batter on top and smooth it out so it forms an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining streusel evenly over the batter. Then add the remaining half of the batter, spreading it evenly in the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
* To make this with dairy products, use real butter and real sour cream.
I prefer using soy free vegan butter.
Follow Sharon | What The Fork Food Blog’s board Breakfast/Brunch Recipe Ideas on Pinterest. Other Recipes you Might Enjoy: Apple Cider Smoothie – Pumpkin ‘n Spice Orange Lemonade with Honey Ginger Simply Syrup – Honey & Birch Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Smoothie – What The Fork Food Blog Rustic Homemade Marshmallows (Corn/Egg/Refined Sugar Free) – The Urban Poser
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Friday 24th of January 2020
It’s the ultimate guide. I love your post you have shared here on your site I love your writing style! Really helpful for me. Thanks for sharing. very informative posts Thanks again.
Helen Smith @UmbrellaWiki.Com
Thursday 28th of November 2019
I love your post you have shared here on your site. I would like to share it with my friends on all my social media accounts. Thanks for writing such an informative content.
Wednesday 6th of September 2017
I was searching for a coffee cake (want to make one for my husband's birthday). This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing.
Wednesday 22nd of November 2017
I'm happy that you found this recipe! I hope you enjoyed making it!
Monday 15th of May 2017
Awesome recipe, Gonna try soon. Thanks for sharing. bookmarked your blog post.
Monday 22nd of May 2017
Saturday 27th of February 2016
Sharon, a big thanks to you for putting up this recepie. I am pinning this honey banana coffee cake in my to do list. Thanks once again.