Super fudgy gluten free brownies will be a staple recipe for years to come. It’s a great base recipe to make any kind of decadent brownies you’d like!
This post contains affiliate links for products and ingredients I use and love. You can read my full disclosure here. Thank you for supporting What The Fork Food Blog so I can continue to provide you with free gluten free recipes ♥
Gluten Free Brownies
YOU GUYS. THESE BROWNIES. I seriously can’t help the all caps right there because these fudgy gluten free brownies are THAT amazing. I’ve been working for a very, very, very long time to perfect a gluten free Ghirardelli boxed brownie copycat recipe.
The walnut version was our absolute favorite brownie before Adam had to start eating gluten free. I never, ever made brownies 100% from scratch because that little box of brownies were just so good.
They’re so fudgy and so soft in the center and they basically just melt in your mouth. And for some reason, they were incredibly hard to replicate. I’ve had other brownies on my blog, like my Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies, Flourless Chocolate Mint Brownies, and Snickers Brownies. I even use the chocolate hazelnut brownies as the base in my Cherry Vanilla Baked Alaska.
ALL of those recipes were great but this one, this one has been my unicorn brownie recipe. The elusive recipe that I just needed to tackle.
And I’ve finally done that. My freezer may be packed full of brownies right now but it was well worth it. These are so fudgy, soft (from slightly under-baking, the way brownies should be!), chewy along the edges, and basically melt in your mouth. JUST like the ones from the box I set out to re-create.
Not only have I been working on perfecting a gluten free copycat version of Ghirardelli boxed brownies, but I have also been making my own gluten free flour blend for years now. When I first started baking gluten free, I used a store-bought all-purpose mix. But as I got more experience baking gluten free, I found that I could get better results on my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Key Ingredients for this Gluten Free Brownie Recipe
- Gluten Free Flour – omit xanthan gum if using a gluten free flour blend that contains it
- Cocoa Powder – I use Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
- COLD Eggs – for vegan gluten free brownies, use an egg replacer and the dairy free butter sub listed below.
- Butter – use vegan butter for gluten free dairy free brownies
- Avocado Oil or Canola Oil
- Vanilla extract
Equipment Needed to Make Homemade Brownies
How to make Fudgy Gluten Free Brownies
Step 1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Step 2. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
Step 3. Add eggs to dry ingredients and beat well. Then add the rest of the wet ingredients.
Step 4. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
Step 5. Transfer the batter into a prepared pan ( 9×9 metal pan lined with parchment paper). Bake at 325 for 22-25 minutes.
Step 6. Allow brownies to fully cool in the pan before removing and cutting.
Gluten Free Brownies Video Tutorial
Tips for Making Gluten Free Brownies from Scratch
- I used my nightshade-free flour blend in these fudgy gluten free brownies but my white-rice all purpose flour blend would work well too. A 1:1 gluten free flour blend can also be used. Just be sure to omit the xanthan gum called for in this recipe if your blend contains it.
- For cleaner cut brownies, chill the brownies for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Cutting with a plastic knife works great too!
- Mix in chocolate chips or nuts at the end if you like!
Other Gluten Free Brownie Recipes to Try
Peppermint Frosted Brownies (Christmas)
Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies (flourless)
Mummy Brownies (Halloween)
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this recipe for Gluten Free Scones, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 3/4 C cocoa powder
- 1/2 C all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 large eggs (cold)
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 C avocado oil (or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp water (cold)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a 9x9 inch metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch.
- Make a well in the center and add the eggs. Beat the eggs and mix in the butter, oil, vanilla extract, and water. Mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees for 22-25 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting.
- For dairy free brownies, use melted vegan butter in place of the regular butter.
- I prefer my brownies very soft and on the slightly under-baked side. Cook a little bit longer if you want the center to be a little more done.
- Chill the brownies for 30 minutes for cleaner cut slices.
- This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9x13 pan.
- These brownies freeze well. Defrost at room temperature before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 132Total Fat: 13gCarbohydrates: 4g