This gluten free caramel apple crisp is the perfect dessert for that chilly fall weather. It’s full of warm spices and caramel. Make sure to serve it with some vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of caramel sauce.
Once upon a time, I was obsessed with Ina Garten. I loved all her recipes, I have all her cookbooks, and I’ve watched just about every single one of her Food Network episodes.
I feel like Ina is the millennials equivalent to Julia Child. Who’s with me on that?
One of my all-time favorite recipes of hers is her Old Fashioned Apple Crisp. It had the perfect crispy topping. It was basically an oatmeal cookie dough crumbled up and baked over the top of the apples. SO good.
However, the recipe made a ton. Like, enough to feed your family of 10 or all of the random dinner guests you’ll just happen to be entertaining. It was just way too much for me and my husband (before kids) so I adapted it to make less.
Then to throw a wrench into things, my husband has to eat gluten free and my daughter is lactose intolerant. So I adapted the recipe even further to fit my family’s dietary needs. Then I added caramel because, why not? Caramel and apples are amazing together and it makes a fun twist on the original.
The recipe includes notes on how I made it gluten free and dairy free to meet my family’s needs. I use my nightshade-free flour mix in this recipe just as I do for the rest of my baked goods. If you are looking for a paleo version that is refined sugar-free, try this Paleo Apple Pecan Coconut Crisp made by Demeter at Beaming Baker.
This is actually the first apple recipe I’ve made this fall, crazy right? I was just so excited about a few new pumpkin recipes this year (pumpkin banana bread and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins) that I just skipped right over the apples.
I HAD to circle back to apples though, I can’t forget about them! Especially since I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for almost 2 years now. Better late than never, right?
If you’re looking for more apples recipes because you can’t get enough of this caramel apple crisp? Try my slow cooker cinnamon applesauce or my slow cooker apple butter. Try all three if you’re feeling ambitious in the kitchen!
Also, I can’t help myself saying How easy is that?! Enjoy!
BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG #WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG OR TAG @WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG – I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
IF YOU LOVE THIS gluten free caramel apple crisp recipe, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA SO YOU NEVER MISS A POST:
- For the filling:
- 1 ½ lb. Macintosh apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ C light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
- ½ C caramel pieces (for dairy free use dairy free caramels like Cocomels)
- For the topping:
- ¾ C all-purpose flour (or ¾ C gluten free flour PLUS ½ tsp xanthan gum)
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 1/3 C light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ C old fashioned oats (or gluten free oats for gluten free)
- ½ C butter, cold and cubed (use palm shortening for dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the prepared apples, orange zest, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch. Mix well and pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the caramel pieces over the top, evenly distributing them.
- To make the topping, add the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and oats to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix to combine.
- Add the cubed butter (or shortening) and mix on low to incorporate. When the dough starts to come together, crumble it over the top of the apples.
- Place the baking dish over a rimmed baking sheet (in case the apples bubble over) and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the topping is browned/crisp and the apples are bubbling.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
Use new caramels if you can. Old caramels have a tendency to get hard.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 17 Carbohydrates: 4g
This gluten free caramel apple crisp recipe can also be found on Weary Chef where I am a regular contributor.