Super easy Homemade Chex Mix with a sweet and spicy twist! Adjust the heat to your preference. This simple snack is always a hit!
This post contains affiliate links for products and ingredients I use and love. You can read my full disclosure here. Thank you for supporting What The Fork Food Blog so I can continue to provide you with free gluten-free recipes ♥
Gluten Free Homemade Chex Mix
This homemade Chex Mix is a little bit sweet, a little bit savory, a little spicy, and 100% snack-tastic and dangerously delicious!
Don’t worry though – if you’re not a spice person you can completely control how much spice you want to add. Make it mild and more sweet/savory or crank up the heat as much as you can handle 🌶🔥
Since Chex Mix is one of my all-time favorite snacks, I’ll be playing with even more Chex Mix flavors in the future. In the meantime, I’ll also be sharing a Gluten-Free Chex Mix Muddy Buddies recipe (aka Puppy Chow) that I made with my extra cereal. It’s been a snackapade over here, my friends!
Chex Mix Ingredients
- Chex Cereal – I use a combination of Corn Chex and Rice Chex.
- Mixed Nuts – use lightly salted
- Pretzels – I use gluten-free pretzel twists but you can use regular if you don’t need this to be gluten-free
- Bagel Chips – gluten-free bagel chips are impossible to find now but you can easily make your own homemade bagel chips with just a couple ingredients (bagels, oil, garlic salt)
- Butter – I use unsalted
- Worcestershire Sauce – Lea & Perrins is gluten-free in the US
- Seasoned Salt – I use Lawry’s but you could also make it yourself.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
- Paprika – I use regular paprika but smoked would be a great variation.
- Cayenne Pepper
- Light Brown Sugar
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Equipment Needed to Make Gluten-Free Chex Mix
- Half Sheet Pan – Nordicware is my top choice
- Large Bowl – the biggest you have because you’ll need to mix a lot of dry ingredients together. I use a 4 Quart Pyrex Mixing Bowl.
How to Make Homemade Chex Mix
Step 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Step 2. Add the Corn Chex, Rice Chex, nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips to a large bowl (the biggest you have). Stir gently to mix together.
Step 3. Melt the butter in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Once melted, whisk in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, Cayenne pepper, and brown sugar until combined and the sugar is dissolved completely.
Step 4. Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and gently fold/stir until everything is moistened. Divide the Chex Mix evenly between 2 rimmed half-sheet pans.
Step 5. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. When done, cool completely then store in an air-tight container.
Tips for Making Sweet and Spicy Chex Mix
- Use the amount of cayenne pepper that you’re comfortable with. If you truly dislike any sort of spice at all, you can eliminate it completely for a savory and sweet Chex Mix recipe. If you love sweet heat, use at least a teaspoon or even more (to taste).
- Store it in an airtight container. You don’t want it to get stale. A gallon-sized ziplock bag works great too!
- Bake the Chex Mix as directed. Don’t make this in a slow cooker or crockpot.
Other Gluten-Free Party Snacks To Try
- Original Chex Mix
- Holiday Trail Mix
- Chocolate-Dipped Fritos
- Slow Cooker Corn Dip
- Crack Dip
- Cheesy Artichoke Dip
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this recipe for sweet and spicy homemade Chex Mix, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Gluten Free Sweet and Spicy Homemade Chex Mix
- 4 cups Corn Chex
- 4 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup mixed nuts lightly salted
- 2 cups pretzels I used gluten-free
- 2 cups bagel chips I used homemade gluten-free bagel chips
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce see notes
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Add the Corn Chex, Rice Chex, nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips to a large bowl (the biggest you have). Stir gently to mix together.
- Melt the butter in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Once melted, whisk in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, Cayenne pepper, and brown sugar until combined and the sugar is dissolved completely.
- Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and gently fold/stir until everything is moistened. Divide the Chex Mix evenly between 2 rimmed half-sheet pans.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. When done, cool completely then store in an air-tight container.
- Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is gluten-free in the US. Check your labels.
- I used Lawry's but check your labels.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Facts are estimated and aren't always accurate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist if you have special dietary needs.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and let me know in the comments! You can also leave a photo/comment on this pin for others to see.