Here’s my stance on banana bread: banana bread is for bananas. Maybe I’m a purist but I’ve seen all kinds of banana bread recipes. Chocolate chip banana bread, pumpkin banana bread, berry banana bread, quinoa kale banana bread… Just kidding about the quinoa kale banana bread, but you get my point. Banana bread = bananas. And walnuts, but that’s IT. Maybe one day I’ll step outside my banana bread comfort zone but not today. Or tomorrow. Or next week.
Classic banana bread has always been one of my favorites, as long as it was just right. And by right, I mean perfect. When I started making banana bread I experimented with all kinds of recipes because, if you couldn’t tell, I’m picky about my banana bread. Some recipes were too moist, there wasn’t enough banana, it wasn’t dark enough, it was too dry and crumbly or it just didn’t do it for me. See, crazy.picky.
It really is a problem.
So anyways, I developed a recipe that I was pretty happy with. Then I had to start making it gluten-free. Fffff. Don’t mess with my banana bread wahhh.
Also, this was one recipe I didn’t love after converting regular flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour cup-for-cup. Adam loved it but not me. It wasn’t perfect and classic banana bread HAS to be perfect.
Back to the drawing board. I’ve been experimenting with gluten-free banana bread recipes for almost a year. I experimented with recipe after recipe after recipe… And I was getting so frustrated with my imperfect results that I’ve let so many bananas go to waste JUST because I was getting so freaking annoyed. #thestruggleisreal #firstworldproblems #sadbuttrue
And then… I #nailedit. (Insert celebratory song and dance here) Gluten-free banana bread with just the right amount of banana, not too moist, not too dry, the density and color are right and it’s got the perfect texture for me. I’m sure you’ll love this classic banana bread too!
PS It’s awesome with cream cheese and if you’ve never tried cream cheese on your banana bread, add it to your bucket list. Your taste buds will be blown away.
PSS sorry for all the hashtags #sorrynotsorry
Classic Banana Bread
- 2 C gluten-free all-purpose flour *
- 1 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2/3 C milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 C bananas, mashed
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5in loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or hand mixer, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, xantham gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add egg and vanilla to the butter/sugar and beat until combined.
- Beat in mashed banana.
- Add half of the flour mixture to mixture and mix until just combined.
- Mix in 1/3 C of the milk until combined.
- Add the remaining flour mixture, mixing until combined, followed by the remaining milk and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55 min to 1 hour or until tester comes out clean.
Oven temps often vary so check for doneness after 55 min. In my oven, this banana bread takes 1 hour to bake. br]
*You can substitute regular all-purpose flour for the [gluten-free all-purpose flour and omit the xantham gum to make this a regular banana bread.
Please be sure to use gluten-free ingredients when following a gluten-free diet.