Gluten Free Soft Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies filled with Vanilla Buttercream are my favorite way to enjoy gingerbread. The spice from the gingerbread pairs so well with the sweet buttercream, it’s such a fabulous combination! Great for the holidays to give as homemade gifts.
Soft Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
Let’s just start out by saying these gluten free soft gingerbread sandwich cookies were not what I intended to make when I made my gingerbread cookie dough. I had every intention of turning my dough into a gingerbread house and gingerbread men to decorate with Kelsey.
Then I discovered that my gingerbread men cookie cutters were nowhere to be found and the pieces that I had already cut for the sides of the house were too soft and I just did not feel like baking them for an extra few minutes. I know, so lazy but whatever. I just couldn’t even.
Maybe it was the tough week I had. Kelsey fell and broke her collar bone last Monday and it’s just been a long, rough week for the both of us. I thought making a gingerbread house would be a fun activity for her to do (with one hand) but it was just going to be too much work and neither one of us had the patience for anything with a difficulty level other than ‘wicked easy’.
We were also already planning on decorating a gingerbread house with my family anyways so she wasn’t really going to be missing out on anything.
Since I had already made the gingerbread dough, and it was fabulous as a soft baked gingerbread cookie, I decided to turn it into these gluten free gingerbread sandwich cookies. SO good! It’s such a fun and delicious twist on the crunchy gingerbread cookies. Those are ok but soft gingerbread is the way to go. Enjoy!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this gingerbread sandwich cookies with vanilla buttercream recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
For the Gingerbread Cookies:
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C molasses
- 1/2 C solid shortening
For the Vanilla Buttercream:
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 C (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- In a small pan, combine the molasses and shortening and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cool about 15-20 minutes. Do not let it cool to the point that the molasses starts to form a skin.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Stir in the cooled molasses. Mix until completely combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats.
- Scoop 1 1/2 Tbsp of dough* onto the prepared baking pans, about 8 cookies per pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool cookies on the pans for 10 minutes before cooling completely on wire racks.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare buttercream. Beat butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth, about 3 minutes. Mix in vanilla and heavy cream. Beat for an additional minute.
- Scoop buttercream onto half of the cooled cookies and top with the other half of the cookies.
I used an OXO Medium Scoop to portion the cookie dough and a heaping OXO Small Scoop to portion the buttercream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.