This Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake is a sweet, slightly tart cake that makes the perfect spring dessert. Since it’s technically a coffee cake so you could even serve it for breakfast or brunch.
Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
This Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake is a Mother’s Day staple. It’s the cake that my dad has made my mom for Mother’s Day for as long as I can remember. Every year we have the same meal: steak, “the mushrooms” (my grandfather’s mushrooms cooked with tomatoes and herbs), a vegetable, potatoes, sometimes lobster, and then this delectable gluten free strawberry rhubarb coffee cake.
Yes, technically this cake is a coffee cake, so good news for you dessert lovers – you can eat it any time of the day! We’ve always had it as dessert though. And maybe leftover for breakfast the next morning?
I still live within 10 minutes from my parents so we usually still go there for dinner on Mother’s Day. Last year I made some grilled garlic shrimp and fried almonds with thyme as appetizers. I haven’t decided what I’ll bring this year, but I know one thing for sure – this gluten free strawberry rhubarb coffee cake will be there and it will be delicious.
The strawberry rhubarb compote is just sweet enough to mask the super tart rhubarb but not too sweet. And did I mention the crumb topping? That’s my favorite part. Looks like I’m finishing Whole30 up just in time to grab a slice of this fantastic cake. Enjoy! (I know I will be)
PS rhubarb is a vegetable so that counts towards your 5-a-day, right?
BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG #WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG OR TAG @WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG – I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
IF YOU LOVE THIS gluten free strawberry rhubarb coffee cake RECIPE, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA SO YOU NEVER MISS A POST:
For the Filling:
- 1 lb strawberries, diced
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 C sugar
- 1/3 C cornstarch
For the Cake:
- 3 C gluten free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum*
- 1 C sugar (I used organic cane)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 C palm shortening
- 1 1/2 C unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crumb topping:
- 1/4 C palm shortening, measured then melted
- 3/4 C gluten free flour
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 C sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
To make the filling:
- Add the strawberries, rhubarb, and lemon juice to a medium sized saucepan, cover, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar and cornstarch and bring to a boil. Cook until the strawberries are soft and mashable, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool while you make the cake.
To make the Cake:
- Add the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the shortening and use a fork to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it forms coarse crumbs.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour half the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly over the bottom. Pour the strawberry rhubarb mixture over the cake batter and spread it evenly over the cake.
- Use a spoon to drop the remaining cake batter on top of the strawberry/rhubarb layer and carefully spread it out.
To Make the Crumb Topping:
- Add the melted palm shortening, flour, xanthan gum, and sugar to a small bowl and mix until it forms crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
*I used my nightshade free flour mix which contains arrowroot starch. If you use a different mix, you may need to add a bit more xanthan gum.
Recipe adapted from a recipe published in the newspaper from an unknown date.
This recipe can be made with regular all-purpose flour (just omit the xanthan gum), butter instead of palm shortening, and buttermilk instead of the coconut milk and vinegar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 4gCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 1g
More #SundaySupper Recipes:
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.