This Caprese Pasta Bake recipe with white beans is an easy and simple vegetarian meal that’s perfect for Meatless Monday at any time of the year.
This post contains affiliate links for products and ingredients I use and love. You can read my full disclosure here. Thank you for supporting What The Fork Food Blog so I can continue to provide you with free gluten free recipes ♥
Gluten Free Caprese Pasta Bake
If you’re looking for a new cannellini beans recipe to try for Meatless Monday, look no further! This Caprese Pasta Bake recipe with white beans is exactly what you need to add to your repertoire.
There is nothing as delicious as the fragrant leaves of Basil. Add mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, white beans, pasta, and a bit of love and you have yourself a perfect pasta bake!
I always associate the flavors of Caprese salad with summer and pasta bakes with autumn. As one season is winding down and crisp evenings are ahead, I had to merge my two favorite times of year into a dish.
This Caprese Pasta Bake is a simple and crowd-pleasing option to have on hand this fall. The ingredients are inexpensive, prep and cook times are low, and this recipe gives that warm fuzzy feeling that only comfort food can.
I encourage you to make this recipe your own. Don’t shy away from getting creative with the flavors–add in some heat with red pepper flakes, a slight crunch with toasted pine nuts, or tartness with freshly grated Romano cheese. The versatility of the dish gives you the space to flex your culinary curiosity.
Added bonus! This recipe reheats beautifully for school or work lunches.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need To Know About This Easy Pasta Bake Recipe:
I used Jovial gluten free shells in this pasta casserole but you could easily use gluten free penne for a baked penne pasta dish. I know gluten free penne is often easier to find than the shells.
I get my Jovial pasta from Thrive Market because theirs is our favorite and it’s even good in cold pasta salads.
Did you make this easy pasta bake recipe? Leave a star rating and let me know in the comments! You can also leave a photo/comment on this pin for others to see.
Ingredients for Caprese Pasta Bake with White Beans
- Penne pasta (or pasta of choice)
- Olive oil
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 6 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion finely cut
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1 jar of tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella
- Grated parmesan
What are Cannellini Beans?
Cannellini beans is a snazzier name for White Kidney Beans. You will have most likely seen them debuting in chili, Italian dishes like minestrone, or on a salad bar. Their nutty, earthy flavor makes them perfect for our Caprese Pasta Bake.
Equipment Needed to Make Baked Pasta Dishes
- Large pot
- Tongs or slotted spoon
- 9×9 baking dish, greased
How to Make Caprese Pasta Bake with Cannellini Beans
Step 1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9×9 or similar sized baking dish.
Step 2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain then place in a large bowl with the olive oil. Toss to combine and coat the pasta.
Step 3. Add the cannellini beans, cherry tomatoes, red onions, baby spinach and basil to the bowl. Toss gently to combine and wilt the greens.
Step 4. Add the tomato sauce, ¾ cup of the shredded mozzarella, and half of the grated parmesan to the bowl along with salt and pepper to taste. Toss until everything is well combined.
Step 5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Step 6. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Step 7. Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and bubbly.
Step 8. Remove from oven, garnish with additional basil if desired and serve.
Tips for Making Caprese Pasta Bake with White Beans
Pasta bakes are easy to throw together on a busy weeknight. To make things even simpler, chop several red onions ahead of time and freeze them for this and future recipes.
Make sure that your pasta is nice and coated well with the tomato sauce mixture so that noodles don’t dry out during baking.
For my dairy-free friends out there, there are alternatives to mozzarella out there! Some may be laborious to make at home but will be an invaluable skill to have for future Italian-inspired dishes.
Other Gluten Free Pasta Dishes To Try
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this Caprese Pasta Bake Recipe with White Beans, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Caprese Pasta Bake Recipe with White Beans
- ½ pound dry pasta any shape
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can 15 ounces cannellini beans
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 cups packed baby spinach/kale greens
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella divided
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan divided
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x9 or similar sized baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain then place in a large bowl with the olive oil. Toss to combine and coat the pasta.
- Add the cannellini beans, cherry tomatoes, red onions, baby spinach and basil to the bowl. Toss gently to combine and wilt the greens.
- Add the tomato sauce, ¾ cup of the shredded mozzarella, and half of the grated parmesan to the bowl along with salt and pepper to taste. Toss until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until cheese on top is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, garnish with additional basil if desired and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Facts are estimated and aren't always accurate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist if you have special dietary needs.
Did you make this bean pasta recipe? Leave a star rating and let me know in the comments! You can also leave a photo/comment on this pin for others to see.