Baked apple cider donuts with a cinnamon sugar-coating. You can enjoy these with your coffee or with a cup of warm apple cider. It’s the perfect fall breakfast.
I know I just posted a donut recipe last week. But DONUTS. Fall just seems like the perfect time of year to eat a donut. Especially apple cider donuts. They’re absolutely a must-have fall-food. Adam and I used to get them from our favorite orchard when we would go apple picking. They were fried, not baked and they were fabulous. So good. But now that Adam doesn’t eat gluten, we haven’t had any apple cider donuts in a long time. We missed them.
But we will not be missing out any longer! These apple cider donuts are baked and they’re gluten-free. You’re welcome, Adam! And since September is my apple month, I wanted to make sure I got another apple recipe in before my pumpkin season starts in a few days. Can you believe it’s almost October?! What the what?
Get yourself some fresh apple cider, make these fab apple cider donuts and enjoy!
Apple Cider Donuts
For the donuts
- 1 1/4 C apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 C gluten-free all-purpose flour *
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C whole milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cinnamon/sugar-coating
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- Add cinnamon sticks and apple cider to a small pot. Bring to a boil and simmer on low until reduced, about 15-20 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks and measure out 1/2 cup of the apple cider. Refrigerate to cool.
- Combine milk and vinegar, stir and let sit 5 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray donut pan with non-stick spray.
- While the cider is cooling, sift flour, xantham gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter and the vanilla extract in a large bowl. Whisk in milk/vinegar and the cooled 1/2 cup of apple cider.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. DO NOT over mix. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter into donut pan and fill about 3/4 of the way full. Don't over fill! Bake (in batches if necessary) for 10 minutes. Remove donuts from donut pan and cool slightly on a wire rack.
- While the donuts are baking/cooling, combine sugar and cinnamon for the topping in a shallow bowl wide enough to dip the donuts in and melt the 4 tablespoons butter.
- Lightly dip slightly cooled donuts in the butter and then immediately dip them in the cinnamon/sugar. Turn in sugar until completely coated and place on a wire rack. Repeat with each donut. Enjoy warm or at room temperature!
*Regular flour can be used in place of the gluten-free flour . Just be sure to omit the xantham gum.
When following a gluten-free diet, be sure to use gluten-free ingredients.
If you love this recipe for Apple Cider Donuts, be sure to sign up for free email updates! New recipes will be delivered straight to your inbox!
This recipe is linked to Merry Monday, Inspiration Monday, Made by You Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Two Cup Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Create Link Inspire, You’re Gonna Love It Tuesday, Time to Sparkle, Handmade Tuesdays, Tickle My Tastebuds, Gluten-Free & DIY Tuesday, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays, The SITS Girls, Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Show and Share Wednesday, Wine’d Down Wednesday, A Little Bird Told Me Link Party, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Create it Thursday, Pin It Thursday, Your Turn To Shine, Pin Junkie Pin Party, Gluten-Free Fridays, Pure Blog Love, Link Party Palooza, Foodtastic Friday, Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday, Foodie Friday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Show Stopper Saturday, Saturday Night Fever, Weekend Bites, Weekend Wind-Down, The Weekend Social, Weekend Potluck, Best of the Weekend and Weekend Recipe Linkup.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.