These easy, cut-out gluten free chocolate sugar cookies are a fun twist on the traditional cookie. They require no chill time, roll out easily without extra flour, and hold their shape exceptionally well.
Surprise, surprise… it’s another gluten free cookie recipe for you! Not just any old cookie though. It’s a gluten free chocolate sugar cookie recipe. Chocolate sugar cookies…. it’s like music to my ears.
These chocolate sugar cookies are spectacular. Not only are they tasty, but they’ve got a fantastic, deep chocolate flavor that only comes from Rodelle baking cocoa. They’re also sturdy enough to ship AND they freeze well too! Holla!
It’s like a cookie win-win-win.
Last year, I made some Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies but this year, I made these gluten free chocolate sugar cookies. They’re part of the Cookies with Rodelle holiday campaign where the Rodelle Brand Ambassadors are sharing some deliciously decadent cookie recipes. It’s like the ultimate virtual cookie swap!
You can see them all here.
Side note, is it just me or did that “Last year” and “but this year” make you want to bust out in Christmas carol? Laaast Christmas I gave you my heart….
And just an FYI, I can’t sing. Like, at all. I know I reference songs a lot in my posts but I am 0% musically inclined. Sometimes I struggle with the ABC’s which makes it so weird that my brain likes to turn everything into a song. My mind is willing but my body isn’t capable!
In other special news, since it’s been a while since I’ve had a vanilla giveaway – I’m having one today! Rodelle will be providing one lucky winner with vanilla extract, gourmet baking cocoa, almond extract, chocolate extract, pumpkin spice extract, cinnamon sticks, and turkey brine. You can enter the giveaway via the form below. Good luck!
If you’re looking to decorate these cookies, try decorating them with the royal icing recipe I used for my gluten free mummy cookies and my gluten free conversation heart cookies. You can color the icing any color you want to make some fun Christmas patterns or for any party/theme you want. You could also try it with my vegan chocoalte frosting, my favorite easy vanilla buttercream, or the dairy-free vanilla frosting from my soft frosted sugar cookies recipe. Enjoy!
be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – i love seeing what you make!
if you love this gluten free chocolate sugar cookie recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| snapchat – whattheforkblog |
sign up for my free newsletter subscription for new recipes and exclusive giveaways + my free ecookbook – recipes with chocolate
- 1 C palm shortening
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, cold
- 1 Tbsp Rodelle vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 C Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour
- 3/4 C Rodelle gourmet baking cocoa
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with silicon mats or parchment paper.
- Add the shortening and granulated sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium-low speed until just combined. Scrape down the bowl as necessary. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Pour 2/3 of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until mostly combined. Scrape down the bowl and add the remaining flour and mix until just combined and the dough starts to come together.
- Form the dough into one large ball and split in half. Place half of the dough on a large piece of plastic wrap and top with a second piece of plastic wrap. You do not need to dust it with flour. (Keep the other half covered with plastic wrap to keep from drying out in the bowl.)
- Roll the dough out between the layers of plastic wrap to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with desired cookie cutters. Dough scraps can be re-rolled. Carefully place the cookie shapes on the prepared baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Bake the cookies in batches as necessary.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for at least 15 minutes before very carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. When warm out of the oven, the cookies will be extremely delicate (to the point where they will crumble if you touch them and you'll think they're going to be a crumbly mess) but will be firm and sturdy once they have cooled.
- Decorate as desired once completely cooled.
*Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour is my go-to flour for gluten free sugar cookies. This flour blend contains xanthan gum. If you use a different flour, and one that does not contain xanthan gum, you will need to use more than the recipe calls for.
Makes almost 2 dozen cookies but it depends on the size of your cookie cutters. I use 3 inch round cutters and get about 22 cookies.
KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Aqua Sky
Pyrex Smart Essentials Mixing Bowl Set Including Locking Lids (Clear), 8 piece
USA Pan 1606CR Half Sheet Baking Pan and Bakeable Nonstick Cooling Rack, Metal
Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe was created in partnership with Rodelle, where I am a brand ambassador (because I am vanilla obsessed ♥).