An easy recipe for gluten free waffles with a dairy free option that get perfectly crispy. They freeze well too so you can make a double batch and save some for later.
It’s about time I share a recipe for gluten free waffles here, don’t you think? I mean, it’s been 3 years since I’ve shared a waffle recipe!
3 YEARS. Guys, that’s along time! By the way, that recipe was for Red Velvet Waffles, which are totally fun to make for Valentine’s Day!
But let’s talk about these waffles. They’re basically made from almost the same recipe as my gluten free pancakes. One thing I changed was using melted butter in the waffle version instead of oil. Adam reeeeaaaally likes buttery waffles.
Don’t worry, if you need a dairy free version like my daughter, these work well with avocado oil (or canola oil) and will still get nice and crispy! You can bring in the buttery flavor by spreading on a bit of vegan butter if you wish.
These gluten free waffles get nice and crispy, just the way I like waffles! They’re almost like gluten free Eggo waffles which is not a bad thing in my opinion! The melted butter really makes them crisp up nicely but if you need to make them dairy free, avocado oil or canola oil work too!
You’ll want to keep this gluten free waffle recipe handy, especially if your family is anything like ours. We like to make pancakes or waffles at least once a week. And if you like to cook in batches to freeze food for later for quick breakfasts in the morning, you’ll love these even more!
These easy gluten free waffles freeze incredibly well! Once they’ve cooled to room temperature, I freeze them on a sheet pan and then when they’re frozen, I transfer them to a freezer bag for storage.
We reheat them by toasting them in our toaster oven but you could reheat them in your oven too. Easy peasy! Enjoy!
Be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this gluten free waffles recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| snapchat – whattheforkblog |
Sign up for my free newsletter subscription for new recipes and exclusive giveaways + a free eCookbook for my favorite recipes with chocolate.
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk (regular or unsweetened coconut)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (avocado or canola oil can be subbed)
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron according to your waffle iron directions. (I usually set mine on a higher setting because I like my waffles super crispy).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter (or oil), maple syrup, and vanilla until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined (no need to over mix, some small lumps are ok). Let batter sit 5 minutes.
- Grease your waffle maker and cook your waffles according to your waffle iron directions. Serve immediately with maple syrup, and desired toppings. We like fresh fruit on ours!
* I use my Nightshade Free Gluten Free Flour Blend in this recipe. Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour can also be used, just omit the xanthan gum called for.
These waffles freeze well. Cool completely before freezing on a sheet pan. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Reheat in the toaster oven or oven.
I get about 10 square waffles (with about 1/4 batter per waffle) from this recipe. It will depend on the waffle iron you use and how much batter you use for each waffle.
Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract, 8-Ounce
Pyrex Smart Essentials Mixing Bowl Set Including Locking Lids (Clear), 8 piece
Silicone Baking Utensils | Wooden Handle, Balloon whisk, Slotted & Solid Kitchen Spoon, Spatula, Long Scraper and Pastry Brush, Acacia Hard Wood Handle
Hamilton Beach 4-Piece Belgian Waffle Maker (26020)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 178 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 200mg Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 5g