This Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake is made with gluten free drop biscuits, sweetened fresh strawberries and vanilla whipped cream. It’s a classic strawberry shortcake made gluten free that’s both easy and delicious.
A while back when I shared my gluten free biscuits, I promised you strawberry shortcakes. In true Sharon fashion, it’s a little late. But better late than never, right? Please say yes because these gluten free strawberry shortcakes were WELL worth the wait.
They’re pretty much my regular biscuit recipe but with a bit more milk to turn them into drop biscuits. They’re baked to buttery perfection and then they’re topped with fresh, sweet strawberries and whipped cream. They’re SO good and this is definitely one of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh strawberries.
[Tweet “Sweet #glutenfree Strawberry Shortcakes – swoon central.”]
These biscuits are the perfect vehicle for the sweet macerated strawberries and vanilla whipped cream. The recipe makes 8 biscuits but if you don’t use them all, you can freeze them – they freeze beautifully! (I actually froze some of them for 6 months, defrosted them, and then served them as a last minute dessert and nobody knew. It was like I had just baked them. Win!)
These biscuits are also delicious for breakfast with some honey and fresh fruit. Or you could just have leftover strawberry shortcake, I won’t tell 😉
BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG #WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG OR TAG @WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG – I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE FOR gluten free strawberry shortcake, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA SO YOU NEVER MISS A POST:
| SNAPCHAT – WHATTHEFORKBLOG |
SIGN UP FOR MY FREE NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION FOR NEW RECIPES AND EXCLUSIVE GIVEAWAYS
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
For the Biscuits
- 2 C gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 1 C milk
For the Strawberries
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the strawberries:
- Mix the strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar in a bowl and let sit at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
To make the biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Sift and mix together the flour, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder. Use a pastry blender (or two forks) to cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is smaller than the size of peas.
- Mix in the milk until completely incorporated. The mixture will be a bit wet and sticky.
- Use a spoon or large scoop to drop the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet into 2 rows of 4. Bake the biscuits at 425 degrees for 10-14 minutes or until done in the center. Mine were done in 12 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
To Make the Whipped Cream:
- Use an electric mixer to whip the heavy cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract together. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble the shortcakes, split a biscuit in half, top with strawberries and whipped cream. Place the top half of the biscuit on top and cover with additional strawberries and whipped cream.