All the best buttercream frosting recipes you need to frost your cakes, cupcakes, brownies, or other desserts. So many flavors to choose from, your dessert options are endless!
Buttercream Frosting Recipes
If you’re looking for frosting options to make and decorate your next cake or cupcakes with, look no further! These easy buttercream frosting recipes will satisfy any craving with all the flavor options you need!
Just about all of these recipes are American Buttercream style recipes that call for only a few ingredients and a simple mixing method.
What is American Buttercream?
American Buttercream is buttercream frosting that’s made with softened butter and powdered sugar. No ingredients are cooked in this type of frosting.
Chocolate buttercream frosting (ABC style) is usually flavored with cocoa powder or sometimes melted chocolate. You can flavor plain frosting with extracts to make vanilla, peppermint, orange, lemon, coconut, etc.
Can frosting be made ahead of time?
Yes it can. Just refrigerate it after preparing it and store it in an air-tight container. Bring it to room temperature (about an hour) before using and re-whip it before adding to your cake, cupcakes, or other baked goods.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Equipment Needed to Make a Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer. With a stand mixer, you can use the paddle attachment or the whisk to make buttercream. With a hand mixer, us the beaters.
- Large Bowl
- Fine Mesh Strainer or Sifter– optional but if you want to ensure your sugar has no lumps, sift it before adding it to the cream cheese/butter.
Key Ingredients for Homemade Frosting (American Buttercream)
- Powdered Sugar
- Extracts – such as pure vanilla extract (homemade or store-bought), peppermint, mint, lemon, coconut, orange, etc.
Key Ingredients for Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Plant based butter – I mostly use Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread but have also used Country Crock Plant Butter sticks (with Avocado Oil) with great results.
- Shortening – Nutiva Shortening is my go-to for any recipe that calls for shortening. It has better flavor than Crisco and works really, really well in baked goods and frostings.
Tips for Making Homemade Buttercream Frosting
- Don’t over-soften your butter. If your butter gets too soft, it will produce a buttercream that looks greasy, almost like your frosting doesn’t come together all the way.
- Vegan Butter doesn’t need to be softened. You can use it straight from the refrigerator to prevent it from becoming too soft.
- Add a pinch of salt to your buttercream. I always, always add a pinch of fine sea salt to my frosting recipes. Just a small amount brings out the flavor and also helps balance the sweetness.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love these Buttercream icing recipes, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Youtube | Newsletter |
Homemade Chocolate Frosting
This is an easy chocolate frosting recipe that will bring your cakes and cupcakes to the next level. It’s so rich and creamy but made with simple ingredients. It’s easy to pipe and spread to make beautifully decorated desserts!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Learn how to make classic American vanilla buttercream frosting that’s super creamy and light as a cloud. It’s perfect for layer cakes, piping on cupcakes, and for frosting sugar cookies.
Cookies and Cream
Pair this Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting with chocolate cake for the ultimate chocolate cookies and cream experience. Use Oreo's or gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting is a tasty twist on a classic recipe. This pairs beautifully with pumpkin cupcakes, pumpkin cake, or spiced cake/cupcakes.
White Chocolate Ganache Whipped Cream Frosting
This whipped cream takes your basic homemade whipped cream to the next level. Feeling extra? Use it as a frosting to frost your cakes or cupcakes! It's stable so it won't separate like regular whipped cream will.
Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe
This is a super easy peanut butter frosting recipe to make! It’s light, creamy, and perfectly fluffy. Great for piping and for spreading on cakes or cupcakes. Try it with your favorite chocolate brownies, cakes, or cupcakes!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Sweet Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting is great for adding a little bit of strawberry flare to vanilla cake, vanilla cupcakes, yellow cakes, yellow cupcakes, or strawberry cakes!
Nutella Buttercream Frosting Recipe
You will love this super easy and deliciously creamy Nutella Buttercream Frosting recipe! It’s perfect for frosting or piping onto cakes, cupcakes, brownies, cookies, or whatever your heart desires! There’s a dairy free and vegan option too!
Coconut Frosting Recipe
Simple, creamy Coconut Frosting is a delicious way to enhance the flavor of your cakes, cupcakes, and other baked goods. It's a real treat for coconut lovers!
The Best Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
This is the best, classic cream cheese frosting recipe for cupcakes and cakes. It’s sweet, creamy, and has just enough tang. It pipes well too!
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Vegan chocolate frosting that’s just as good as any frosting made with butter – if not BETTER! This recipe calls for a unique blend of vegan butter and Nutiva shortening for the best flavor and texture.
Gluten Free Funfetti Cake
Dairy free + Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting that can be flavored any way you like. It's got a great consistency and can be piped for decorating.