These Gluten Free Blueberry Crumb Bars are bursting with fresh blueberries and have a delicious crumb topping. They make a deliciously light summertime dessert or a fun afternoon snack.
Photos and recipe updated July 2017.
If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you’ve seen that my family enjoys blueberry picking. Especially Kelsey. Toddlers love collecting things and carrying their collections around in bags/buckets/whatever they can collect things in. If you can put something in it, they will.
So we gave Kelsey the cutest little metal pail ever and told her to put the blueberries inside. Naturally, she LOVED it. Blueberry picking is her new favorite thing. Aside from blueberry eating.
I love picking blueberries for different reasons. While it is a fun family activity, I like the money it saves me. I don’t know what the price for blueberries is at your grocery store but when it’s not blueberry season I’d have to shell out at least $4 for a half pint!
Crazy. So right now I’m taking full advantage of the $2.25/pound price tag if I pick them myself. We’ve picked about 10 pounds so far and I’m planning on picking more if they’re still available. Needless to say we have a LOT of blueberries but blueberries freeze so well and I’ll be able to use them for a while.
I make blueberry muffins for quick breakfasts a lot during the school year and they work really well with frozen blueberries. So there’s no such thing as too many blueberries in my house! Since we have an abundance of fresh blueberries, I thought I’d try a blueberry crumb bar recipe out that I’ve been wanting to try to convert to gluten-free but didn’t want to spend a small fortune on blueberries in order to make it.
This recipe calls for 4 cups of blueberries. Good thing we’re
drowning swimming in blueberries! These blueberry crumb bars are soooo good! The blueberries are sweet, the crumb topping is ah-mazing and the lemon zest lends such a nice, bright flavor. Each bite is like a little fruity flavor bomb bursting with fresh berry flavor. So freaking good. You really need to try these because you absolutely will not be disappointed.
And one more thing – I’ll let you in on a little secret… When I brought these to my parent’s house for dessert, we had them with vanilla ice cream. So if you’re into that sort of thing (and who isn’t?!), vanilla ice cream is THE way to go. They’re good on their own too. But ice cream, people. Ice cream. Whether you choose to eat these Blueberry Crumb Bars plain or with ice cream, it’s your choice. Either way they’re fantastic.
Choose wisely, my friends and get eating! Enjoy!
be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – i love seeing what you make!
if you love this recipe for gluten free blueberry crumb bars, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and grease or spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 C sugar, baking powder, salt and flour. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in the butter until the butter is pea-sized or smaller.
- Mix in the beaten egg and use a spoon or your hands to bring the dough together until. Transfer half of the dough to the prepared baking dish and press in to form an even layer of crust.
- In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Mix well to combine and spread on top of the dough pressed into the pan. Crumble the remaining dough over the blueberry mixture to form a crumb topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45- 50 minute. Cool before slicing.