These simple gluten free Banana Nut Muffins are so moist and tasty from the bananas and walnuts. They make a great, easy weekday or weekend breakfast!
This post contains affiliate links for ingredients and/or equipment used to create this recipe. Thank you for supporting What The Fork Food Blog ♥
Muffins. Love them. We’re all about muffins in our house. Seriously. I make them all.the.time. I’ve made two batches of these banana nut muffins in the last two days. Actually, in the last week and a half, I’ve made 4 (FOUR!) batches of muffins. The other ones were gluten free pumpkin muffins and they’re both SO good.
So I’ve got a little secret to admit: sometimes I’m forgetful. Like REALLY forgetful. So these gluten free banana nut muffins? I originally made them for Food Fanatic almost 3 years ago. THREE YEARS. By the time I remembered I needed to post them, my photography had improved so much I just couldn’t bear to use the old photos.
Since I’ve had a million bananas hanging out on my counter for too long that I really needed to do something with, I decided I absolutely needed to take new photos of these gluten free banana nut muffins and finally get them up on the blog. They’re too good to not share them with you!
I literally had three bunches of bananas, all in various stages of ripeness, none of which were actually getting eaten. Time to bake with them! And something other than banana bread, please.We’ve had SO many banana breads. Plus, muffins bake so quickly they’re easy to make for breakfast on weekends.
These gluten free banana nut muffins are nice and moist, but not too moist, not too much banana, just enough nuts to taste and they’re 0% dense. It’s got everything I’m looking for in a muffin. Enjoy the muffins, I’m off to buy more bananas!
Also, FYI: the muffins in the picture are actually made without the nuts this time because my picky 3yo refuses to eat anything with mix-ins at the moment!
be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – i love seeing what you make!
if you love this recipe for gluten free banana nut muffins, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
NOTES: I use my nightshade free gluten free flour mix in these muffins and I now use Avocado Oil instead of canola oil. For dairy free, use unsweetened coconut milk. For a nut-free version, omit the walnuts.
- 2 cups All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour (see notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Walnuts, Chopped and divided
- 3/4 cup Milk, room temperature (see notes for dairy free)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or neutral oil of choice)
- 2 Large Eggs, Room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 medium Bananas, Mashed - about 1 cup
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F and spray a standard muffin tin with non-stick spray or line the cups with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in the brown sugar, breaking up lumps and then stir in the walnuts.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until almost combined. Stir in bananas and mix until incorporated.
4. Transfer the batter to the muffin tin, dividing evenly between the 12 cups. Top the muffins with additional chopped nuts, if desired.
Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
5. Store muffins in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- I use my nightshade free gluten free flour mix in these muffins and I now use Avocado Oil instead of canola oil.
- You can use walnuts, pecans, almonds, or your favorite baking nut. You can also replace the nuts with chocolate chips.
- For dairy free, use unsweetened coconut milk beverage or your favorite dairy-free milk of choice.
- For a nut-free version, omit the walnuts.
- These muffins can be frozen once they've cooled to room temperature. Defrost at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 259
This gluten free banana nut muffins recipe can also be found on Food Fanatic where I am a regular contributor.