These gluten free Rice Krispies Treats are a classic dessert with an easy gluten free makeover. They’re great for parties, snacks, and lunch boxes!
Gluten Free Rice Krispies Treats
A gluten free chocolate cake is no problem for me. Neither is a homemade dairy free and gluten free funfetti cake complete with sprinkle-covered sides and piped buttercream. And I’ve pretty much nailed the most perfect gluten free banana bread recipe you could ever ask for.
But Rice Krispies Treats were the bane of my existence. The struggle was real. It took me batch after batch after batch to finally get it right. WHY ARE THESE SO HARD TO MAKE.
My first ever batch came out so rock solid that you couldn’t even bite them without worrying you’d break a tooth. I’m not even exaggerating.
In my defense, it’s not a food I grew up eating. You know in those commercials where families are gathered around the kitchen making Rice Krispies Treats around the holidays? That wasn’t us.
We gathered around the kitchen making things like clam chowder or chili. My grandfather would sit at the table cutting up the vegetables and we’d sit around and chat. Sure, we would make cookies, pies, and bread but my mom was always the one to do the baking. That was more of a solo effort; it was her thing.
When I finally got the cooking process down, the resulting batch had the taste and the perfect amount of melty marshmallow that I was after BUT the cereal was stale. I can’t win here people.
FINALLY I got the results I was after and these Gluten Free Rice Krispies Treats are the delicious result. It was worth all the trial and error. And swearing. I’m not going to lie, there was a lot of that too. Enjoy!
PS there’s a Pumpkin Spice version of these coming soon!
be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – i love seeing what you make!
if you love this gluten free rice krispies treats recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| facebook | twitter | pinterest | instagram | youtube |
This post contains affiliate links for products or ingredients used to create this recipe. You can read the full disclosure here. Thank you for helping to support What The Fork Food Blog ♥
Gluten Free Rice Krispies Treats
These gluten free Rice Krispies Treats are a classic dessert with an easy gluten free makeover. They're great for parties, snacks, and lunch boxes!
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups gluten free crispy rice cereal
- Line a 9x9 inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray (I use Spectrum Coconut Spray Oil).
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted, reduce the heat to low and add 5 cups of the mini marshmallows. Stir frequently until the marshmallow are melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows. Stir to melt the marshmallows a bit (chunks of marshmallow are ok) then stir in the gluten free crispy rice cereal.
- When all of the cereal is coated with the marshmallow, transfer to the prepared pan. Let it sit in the pan to cool for a minute or two then use a spatula or your hands to press into the pan. (I find that spraying my clean hands with non-stick works best).)
- Cool completely then cut into 16-20 squares.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container up to 2 days.
- I use One Degree Organic Foods Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 38mgFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
Friday 18th of June 2021
These were awesome! Made them with my boyfriend and my parents and us ate the whole pan in one night!!
Tuesday 22nd of June 2021
Love it! So glad you all enjoyed it!
Tuesday 18th of May 2021
I just made these. I left out the vanilla and added peanut butter (didn't measure it but looked like about 1/2 cup or maybe a little more). They are DELICIOUS! I went gluten-free in January as I have Multiple sclerosis. Every now and then it's nice to make something that tastes as good as you remember. Thanks for a great recipe!
Friday 18th of December 2020
According to Kellogs, Rice Krispies are made with Malted Barley which is not gluten free, but it is low gluten, less than 20 ppm, so it cannot be called gluten free.
Thursday 16th of April 2020
I just made some of them and they were delish! Instead of squares, I rolled them into small balls for a lil bite sized treat! Tysm for the recipe!!
Saturday 25th of January 2020
Marshmallows contain gelatin which is made from animals. Not suitable for vegetarians/vegans. They make vegan marshmallows but they are expensive and hard to find. Either way, I'm sure any margarine that doesn't contain animal fat would be suitable for vegans as a butter substitute.