Got old bananas? Make this gluten free double chocolate banana bread! It’s full of chocolate and banana flavor PLUS it’s studded with chocolate chips. Perfect with coffee!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
I used to be a banana bread purist. Bananas, nuts, that’s it. I wrote about it quite passionately when I first posted my classic banana bread (I’ll be updating this recipe soon). But then I had kids who ate bananas – until they didn’t eat bananas but I kept buying them over and over because they *might* ask for a banana.
So my counter gets over run with bananas
And we make a LOT of banana bread which means my kids have become expert banana mashers. Luckily, they eat banana bread better than they eat the actual banana. Kids. Eat yo’ food!
Since I make so many banana breads, I can’t just make the same banana bread every time. I mean, there are some days I make 4-5 breads in a day. Full sized breads, not minis. THAT’S A LOT OF BANANA BREAD. I’ve been experimenting with a bunch of fun banana bread flavors. All of them have been hits. I have so many banana bread flavors to share, I might just have to start an eBook for them. Would anyone even be interested in that? Let me know, I might have to make it happen! Might take me 6 months to get it done, but sure – eBook for banana bread lovers.
Today’s version is a double chocolate banana bread. You leave out the chocolate chips and just call it a chocolate banana bread but why would you want to leave out the chocolate chips. They’re the best part! I like to add extra on the top to make it even prettier and chocolatier. Scrumptious.
BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG #WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG OR TAG @WHATTHEFORKFOODBLOG – I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE FOR double chocolate banana bread, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA SO YOU NEVER MISS A POST:
- 1 2/3 C gluten free flour
- 1/3 C cocoa powder, Dutch processed
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 C <chocolate chunks
- 1 C banana, mashed (about 2 medium)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 C unsweetened coconut milk or milk of choice, room temperature
- 1/3 C vegetable oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chunks to coat with the flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed banana, milk, oil, and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before wrapping and storing in an air-tight container.
If your gluten free flour mix contains xanthan gum, you can omit the amount called for in the recipe.
This bread freezes really well. Defrost at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143.32Total Fat: 10.26gCarbohydrates: 11.88gProtein: 0.92g